I came across these mangroves by the sea during my recent trip, which got me thinking: why aren't these mangroves seen along the river that flows near my city?

Why is it that mangroves are typically found alongside seas and oceans rather than next to rivers? I’m curious about the specific environmental factors or conditions that make these coastal habitats ideal for mangrove growth, as opposed to riverbanks. Can anyone shed light on this ecological phenomenon?

If I remember correctly, mangroves need salty water to thrive. And also warm conditions. That’s why they’re mostly around coastlines in tropical places. But, I think some mangroves grow around rivers that have some salty water.

Biodiversity is different based on the type of location. For instance, why do you always find palm trees near beaches? I am currently visiting a coastal city and all I see is palm trees everywhere.

That’s interesting to know! It seems like mangroves have some level of adaptability to varying salinity levels. I’m curious to learn more about how mangrove species differ in their tolerance to freshwater versus saltwater environments. Are there specific types of mangroves that are more specialized for riverine habitats compared to those that thrive exclusively in coastal areas? Any insights into these adaptations would be greatly appreciated!